- This event has passed.
Racism: Dismantling the System | Equity at the Ballot Box: Discriminatory obstacles to voting
September 19, 2023 @ 3:30 pm - 6:30 pmFree
In this new episode of Racism: Dismantling the System, advocates and experts will discuss efforts across the US to curb voting in response to baseless claims of rampant fraud and a stolen presidential election in 2020. Voter suppression and election result subversion measures largely target racial minorities. Learn about these tactics and how communities are working to shape an increasingly equitable democratic process in the face of efforts to degrade voting rights.
Join the Reilly Center for Media & Public Affairs in partnering with the Southern University’s Nelson Mandela College of Government and Social Sciences, Loyola University New Orleans College of Music and Media, the Louisiana Budget Project, the NAACP Louisiana State Conference, and the LSU Office of Diversity & Inclusion, as we host a panel discussion to discuss the state of the voting process.
- Sara Martin – Moderator, Political Science Master’s Student at Southern University.
- Sara Carter – J.D., Equal Justice America Fellow in the Brennan Center for Justice’s Democracy Program.
- Jarret Luter – Committee Chair of the Baton Rouge NAACP Branch Political Action Committee.
- Albert Samuels, Ph.D. – Chair of the Department of Political Science and Geography at Southern University.
- Ashley Shelton – Founder, President and CEO of the Power Coalition for Equity and Justice.
Presented By: LSU Reilly Center, Manship School of Mass Communication